Build Responsibly

Before you build or otherwise develop in a floodplain, contact the Planning and Inspections Department at 252-726-6848, ext. 125 to discuss requirements in more detail.

  • A building permit is issued by the Planning and Inspections Department to build a structure or otherwise develop on a property located within a 100-year floodplain.
  • Morehead City requires that all buildings in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) be elevated with their lowest floor, including basement, at least one foot above the base flood elevation (BFE).
  • The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires that if your structure is damaged or improved an amount of 50% or more of the structure's market value, it must meet the construction requirements for a new building.
  • Illegal floodplain development can be reported by contacting the Morehead City Planning and Inspections Department.
  • Morehead City's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance can be viewed online.